Sunday, November 25, 2012

TV Shows

The last two weeks have been incredibly busy for me for school and family reasons. I have not been able to get a moment to teach myself more Korean vocabulary, which is disappointing to me. I'm leaving for Seoul in less than a month and I'm not close to speaking a basic conversation.

I want to share with you what I have done in my free time the last few months in terms of relating to Hangul.

I've watched Korean Dramas on Netflix, which is a online streaming media that provides movies and TV shows at a monthly subscription.

They have a huge variety of Korean Dramas, which I am very surprised about but I like it.

Right now, I'm in the middle of My Fair Lady, which is about a heiress of a large multimillionaire company falling in love with her butler, whom used to be a gigolo.


I don't pick the dramas I watch by popular demand, but rather by what Netflix suggests. They have a way of allowing you to rate the movie/show you've just seen, and suggest more movies/shows based on your rating.

My favorite one so far, is Secret Garden, which is about a rich man of a big company (I'm sensing a pattern here, are you?) who falls in love with a poor stunt-woman. But here's the kicker, look at the picture below and tell me if you see anything strange.


The man is acting a little too feminine isn't he? It's interesting once you find out just why he is. This one was really fun to watch and not too frustrating on the viewer's side. 

Do you have any shows you've seen that you'd like to recommend? Whether it's Korean, Japanese, American, they're all worth a trial period to see if it's a good series or not. 

I really liked The Sopranos, the ending on the last season made me sad that it ended. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of anime, so even starting to recommend Japanese animation series would be a blog unto itself. People think of anime often as a genre, but it's really a medium that includes all genres of entertainment within. So it'd be best for one to find series based on their own interests -action, adventure, romance, comedy, sci-fi, etc...

    For live action, there have been a lot of good series on the premium networks of HBO and Showtime that are based strongly or loosely on historical events. For example, HBO's "Rome" and Showtime's "The Tudors." They both obviously take dramatic liberties with the historical facts, but they are very interesting...and plenty of drama if that's what you like. Showtime also has "The Borgias" still running and HBO's "Game of Thrones" based off the George R. R. Martin book series is excellent as well (and Martin very loosely based the story on the War of the Roses from English history).

    ReplyDelete